With The Boreal Herbal by your side you will learn how to soothe aches and pains with willow, staunch a bleeding wound with yarrow, treat a urinary-tract infection using bearberry, and create a delicate and moisturizing wild-rose skin cream. Author Beverley Gray has also included dozens of healthy and delicious recipes, including Wild-Weed Spanakopita, Dandelion Wine, and Cranberry-Mint Muffins.
The Boreal Herbal features:
- Profiles of 55 herbs, berries and trees found in the northern boreal forest including data on habitat, harvest times, medicinal applications, food uses, cosmetic uses, and spiritual uses
- Full-colour photographs and botanical illustrations of each plant profiled in the book (and similar-looking plants) for easy identification
- Instruction on how to gather and preserve wild plants
- More than 200 recipes: teas, tinctures, powders, flower essences, topical treatments like salves and creams, beverages, jams and jellies, baked goods, soups, entrTes, and more
- Safety tips for harvesting and using edible and medicinal wild plants, including information on calculating dosage and plant-specific cautions
- A resource section for people interested in starting up a non-timber forest-products business
- Botanical and medicinal glossaries, an index, and handy reference charts listing the plants' medicinal actions and vitamin contents
Beverley Gray is a boreal herbalist, aromatherapist, natural-health practitioner, journalist, and an award-winning natural health-product formulator. She owns the Aroma Borealis Herb Shop in Whitehorse, Yukon.